Friday, November 8, 2013

Reflection on Team-based Research Project Proposal

Having spent almost one semester working on the research project proposal, I have definitely learnt a lot from this project. There are 3 main things that I have learnt, mainly
  1. To adapt to different working styles
  2. To manage my time wisely
  3. To stay focus
For my group, I believed I am known to be the one who always picks on little details because I am quite a perfectionist who expects highly of me. I am rather detailed oriented, from standardizing font size to making sure every sentence ends with a full stop. Hence, my team mates may see me as rather irritating sometimes because I will pick on their mistakes too. Although my team mates have adapted to my working style, I realize that sometimes it is not fair to expect others to have the same level of expectations as you. It is difficult to change their definitions of what is an acceptable standard of work. But we all learn to compromise with each other and listen to the opinion of others. Therefore, having an open mind is absolutely essential when doing group work.  

As students who have to constantly challenge ourselves against time to complete assignments, projects and study for tests, it is very important that we manage our time wisely. I am glad that although everyone is busy with their tight schedule, we manage to complete the things that each of us was assigned to, before we attend subsequent meetings, most of the time. This facilitates the meeting and increases our productivity.  


If there is one thing that I would like to improve on, it would be that we should be more focused. Sometimes we tend to discuss certain points in circles and everything becomes too farfetched. As a result, we would end up spending more time and lagging behind schedule. Well, it is necessary to clarify ourselves and make sure everyone is clear of what is going on. However, it would have been better if we discuss the points after we are done with the meeting agenda. This would keep us focus and on track. 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Cassandra,

    I totally understand you being detail-oriented and sometimes picky. I guess that is how every student becomes after he/she studies too much maths/stats! Sometimes I even find myself irritable when I become picky. Maybe one thing you can do in the future is to keep those flaws in mind and correct them when you are alone, instead of correcting them in front of everyone!

    Hope that helps with your future work! Good luck with your presentation and proposal!

    Yours,
    Maolei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you for the advice Maolei. Good luck with your presentation and proposal too! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Cassandra,

    I feel that I have a similar perfectionist tendency which sometimes get my team members irritated when I correct minor flaws in the proposal. Nonetheless, respecting others' opinion is essential and perhaps open discussion about what you think could be improved on would be an effective means of communication (:

    I do agree that good time management is essential for many undergraduates today. It was good that your team managed to complete the tasks assigned on time which helped to increase productivity. Perhaps, a better way to improve on the focus would be to assign a person to bring the team back to the agenda whenever it is deviated from.

    Cheers,
    Yuki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yuki,

      Thank you for the advice. Will try it out for future group projects.

      cheers,
      cass :)

      Delete